21/9/13: Basic Circuit Training #3 & First Circuit Solo

I'm back from holidays   :-)

I was scheduled to fly early morning Sunday 15/9 however I received a call from my flight school to say Archerfield had low-lying fog but I may be able to fly later that morning.  I got a call back soon after saying they could fit me in around 11am.  Unfortunately, I had other plans so I had to skip this flight lesson.

My next scheduled flight lesson was Saturday 21/9.  By this time I hadn't flown for 5 weeks, so was sure I'd be rusty on the circuits.

I arrived to Archerfield and was greeted by Mick (the CFI) who would be my instructor today.  Since I've been out of the country, Pathfinder has added a new Jabiru J160 aircraft to their fleet (with more Jabirus and Instructors to come I've been told).

Mick asked me to do a pre-flight on the J160...  the main differences from the J170 are the wing span is slightly shorter and the propeller is composite based.  Apparently it also doesn't float as well as the J170 during landing so you land it more like the jets.  Otherwise, the checklists are all the same.  Had a look inside the cockpit during the pre-flight and noticed the instruments were different... glass displays!  The engine and RPM gauges were moved to the left with the altimeter, airspeed indicator and turn co-ordinator on the right side on the dash.  Different COM radio and transponder too.

Jumping into the J160, Mick gave me a run through of the changes and how to operate the COM radio and transponder.

Up to this point I've practiced various circuit emergencies although yet to go through rejected takeoff procedures, eg burst tyre or engine issues.

Mick demonstrated a rejected takeoff  when the aircraft veers to one side, for example when a tyre blows during the takeoff roll.  Basically, you immediately close the throttle and keep straight with footwork while applying the brakes.

Mick then demonstrated the procedure where engine issues are experienced once airborne with runway remaining... close the throttle, nose immediately down and complete a forceful landing on remaining runway.  We then exited the runway, re-taxied back to the holding point and I then had a go at rejected takeoff recoveries while Mick cut engine idle.

With rejected takeoff procedures covered, I got stuck into circuit practice...

  • 1st circuit - Line up & wait takeoff on runway 28R.  Touch-and-go

  • 2nd circuit - 28R touch-and-go

  • 3rd circuit - 28R touch-and-go

  • 4th circuit - 28R full stop.  During taxi back to apron, Mick radioed Ground to advise I'd be going solo!  I pulled up near the apron, let Mick out of the aircraft and before away I knew it, I was taking off for my first solo circuit!!  :-)

  • 5th circuit - 28R first solo circuit !!!  Taxi back to apron after landing
Wow!  That was sooner than I expected, particularly after having a 5 week break from flying. 

So how was my first solo circuit?  All circuit legs were fine... altitude, airspeed and spacing good.  My final leg coming into land was a little steep even though I was maintaining 70KIAS during the approach.  Came in over the threshold, idle throttle, adopt level attitude and gradually eased back pressure for the flare....  bounce... bounce... bounce... all wheels down... braked and exited the runway.  Whoops, that's gotta be my worst landing yet!  Funny how the circuit just flown before, with the Instructor, was ok.

Both Tower and Ground controllers gave their congratulations over the radio...  wow, what a great feeling and a relief!  Arriving back at the apron, Mick came out to greet to greet me with a smile and a handshake.  We both had a laugh over the "bunny hopping".  If it carried on, I should have done a go-around.  Ohh well, can only get better from here I guess... practice, practice, practice.

Just before my first solo circuit, I'd logged 4.9 hours of circuit lessons (with Instructor) and 5.8 lessons in the Eastern training area...  a total of 10.7 hours to first solo circuit... very happy with that  :-)

Next lesson tomorrow Sunday 22/9...

No comments:

Post a Comment