11/8/13: Circuit Considerations Training #1

What an exceptional day for flying!  Weather is even better than yesterday...  beautiful and sunny with more than 10km visibility and very few clouds higher than 12,000ft.  ATIS gave winds as variable at 5 knots, meaning the wind was continually shifting due to thermals around the area.  Overall, this meant a calm day perfect for flying.

My instructor today is David and we'll be in Jabiru J170 24-7984.  I did the usual pre-flight inspection, checklists, runup and takeoff into the 1st circuit.

·         1st circuit – 28R touch-and-go

·         2nd circuit – 28R touch-and-go

·         3rd circuit – Glide approach from late downwind 28R to threshold (simulate engine failure)

·         4th circuit – 28R go-around (solid red light from tower)

·         5th circuit – 28R touch-and-go (no wheels to runway)

·         6th circuit - Glide approach from late downwind 28R to threshold (simulate engine failure)

·         7th circuit - 28R touch-and-go (with wheels on runway)

·         8th circuit - Glide approach from late downwind 28R to threshold (simulate engine failure)

·         9th circuit – ATC request to turn crosswind early as aircraft coming towards downwind.  I’m number 1 to land.  Full stop landing
Unfortunately the My Tracks smartphone app stopped recording my ground GPS track after one and a half circuits, but I know my crosswind and base legs were more consistent in terms of maintaining a fairly constant rate of turn.  My downwind legs were also more consistent than the last flight session in terms of separation from runway.

Room for improvement?  As approaching the runway threshold and flying over the aimpoint, I need to ensure I shift my gaze to the END of the runway while idling the throttle.  I'm also rounding out a bit too early which causes me to "float" over the runway a bit too long, so my touchdown after flaring is a little heavy.  Also need to work on adopting the flare attitude more smoothly... a couple of landings felt like more three-pointers than getting the main wheels down first then the nose wheel!  :-)

Great lesson and got a lot of circuits within the hour including some simulated engine failures... next circuit training on Saturday 17th... can't wait!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment