19/10/13: Flight Lesson #7 - Forced Landings

Another glorious day for flying!  Today I'd be going up the Chief Flying Instructor, Mick in the Jabiru J160 24-8229.  As this was the first flight for the day, I walked out to the parking area and  removed the 8229 aircraft covers, tie-downs and the "remove before flight" covers, then completed the pre-flight inspection.

Completed my run-up checks and taxied to Bravo One for a runway 28R departure to the East.  Back out to the training area!  :-)  It's been a while...

After gaining take-off clearance, ATC advised the crosswind had picked up to 12 knots.  A quick double-click on the radio button was our unofficial response back... like say "yep, got it".  This was a left crosswind meaning I'd need to keep my ailerons deflecting into the crosswind during the take-off roll and ease the deflection as approaching take-off rotation.

I extended my downwind circuit leg for  the Eastern departure at 1000ft towards North Stradbroke Island.  Taking into account the crosswind, my horizon aimpoint was Mount Cotton which will see me drift left between the Straddie sand hills and Mt Cotton.

On the way out, Mick said we'll revise a couple of techniques from early in my training.  I performed a slow straight and level - 70 knots without flap at about 2200RPM maintaining 1000ft.

Then I configured the same profile with approach flap - lower nose attitude with a bit higher RPM maintain 70KIAS and 1000ft. 

In terms of ground references, I am exiting the Class D zone when abeam Target so then changed my radio to BNE Radar 125.7 (monitor only) and change the transponder to 1200 + ALT (Glass G VFR).

Once past Target (the YBAF East inbound VFR reporting point), I commenced a climb to 2000ft using a cruise climb at about 80 knots.

The dual button on the COM radio allowed me to listen in on BNE Radar and transmit/receive on the Heck Field CTAF (119.0) at same time.

I arrived to Heck field at 2500ft, a small grass cross runway out near Jacob's Well and Ormeau.

While flying and looking out the window, as well as checking for traffic, you should also frequently be selecting suitable areas to land should an emergency eventuate, eg golf course, paddock, field, etc.  As long as its big, flat and open.

Around Heck field, there are plenty of emergency landing options.  If landing in a plough field (dark fields), always remember to land WITH the burrows (not against) unless you want to rip the landing gear off and flip the aircraft.  However, landing with the burrows may be at odds with what's happening with wind.  Sugar cane (green fields) will also stop you quickly but always try and avoid flipping the aircraft on landing.

Water ripples on rivers can indicate wind direction, so if possible, point the aircraft towards smooth water as this will be upwind.

Smoke stacks also act as good windsocks, but you need to be mindful you'll get different wind speeds/directions at different altitudes.

I joined the crosswind leg for Heck field runway 10 for a glide approach from 2500ft (left-turns in the circuit).

Basic priorities with flying is aviate, navigate then communicate.  The procedure for a forced landing is:
  1. ENGINE FAILURE (fly best glide 65 KIAS with full nose up trim)
  2. TROUBLESHOOT CHECKS - Fuel on/sufficient, Carb Heat on, Mixture full range then set rich, Oil temp & pressure OK, Mags on, Switches on as required, Throttle check, Transponder 7700
  3. SELECT FIELD - big, flat and open
  4. MAYDAY CALL - Frequency 121.5
  5. BRIEF PASSENGERS - Remain calm, follow my instructions, advise intentions, check harnesses tight, hands off controls, secure loose objects, unlatch door security for quick exit if needed on landing, advise survival equipment available on-board & brace for emergency landing
  6. Do TROUBLESHOOT CHECKS again
  7. SHUT-DOWN CHECKS (before landing) - 65 KIAS, fuel off, fuel pump off, throttle closed, flaps (full prior to touchdown), master switch off, brake heavy on touchdown
As soon as you've selected a suitable emergency landing area (Step 3), start heading for it while carrying on with the other forced landing procedure steps.

I performed the above procedure twice from 2500ft and then again on the way back to Archerfield from 1500ft...  lower altitude means you've got less time for these steps and may not even get the Mayday call out... aviate, navigate then communicate.

Some lessons learned for me in this exercise... don't deploy full flaps too early and keep the nose down and maintain glide speed.  Initially aim about third of the way into the landing field and then bring that aimpoint back more towards the landing threshold with each application of flap.  If too high to make safely the selected landing area, either select another or use S-turns to fly more air miles between the aircraft and runway threshold.  Lastly, you don't have to fly a standard circuit procedure (or part thereof) in an emergency - as long as you get the aircraft down as safely as possible.

Heading back to Archerfield, I made my inbound call and received circuit joining instructions - join base runway 22L (grass runway).

Mick asked me to get the wheels on the threshold, which I did but a little hard  :-)

Here's some GPS map captures showing the general orientation of my flight within the training area.  On the zoomed in maps near Heck field, you can see the sharp descending S-turns just near the runway threshold.  Click the images for full size.






Great lesson with lots of theory to apply.  Next lesson... steep turns!  :-) 

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff Matt, forced landings will certainly be interesting. My instructor asked me the other day how far I thought we could glide (Lesson #3, so like I had any idea :)) Next two lessons for me this weekend should be slow flight/stalls, and then into the circuit grind. That does mean on the way to Solo though, so that is scary and pleasing.

    It is amazing what little private fields are out there. My instructor pointed out one which is between Caboolture and Brisbie, Hazleton. Little grass strip, who would ever know it was there unless you look on the map :) I took it from his comments at the time it will be used on forced landings as well.

    Grant

    ReplyDelete